Wednesday, January 31, 2007

LADIES SUMO

Channel 4 hosted a programme on LADIES SUMO I watched this expecting to have a good laugh at all these FAT WOMEN waddling about in SUMO THONGS I suppose you would call me a voyeur. How wrong I was I was enthralled with the programme and was quite impressed by the improvement they Ladies made in a short time, Coach Steve Pateman I knew as reasonable 4th Dan Judoka he once visited my club some 20 years ago in them days he was u95 kilo. He has put on some weight since then mind you so have I, many years ago he was featured learning SUMO and attending the 1st World Amateur Sumo Championships in Japan, I am sorry to say the programme did not do the Sport justice. I thought the Ladies done extremely well and watching the World Championships was exciting and interesting.
SUMO to me is the very basis of Wrestling, for those who taught for any length time you will know the first thing any new student will do is to try and push his or her opponent and we instructors teach that natural instinct out of them. It seems to me that SUMO has taken what comes natural and harnessed it to become a very efficient method of Combat.
If you get the chance to watch this programme do so can I say well done Ladies, Channel 4 and Steve Pateman keep promoting SUMO, one question I would like to know can Channel 4 do a the same for SOMBO.

Do not forget the British Open Sombo is on in March we hope to have a team from Mongolia go to www.britishsombo.co.uk

No comments: