Friday, December 18, 2009

Banned from using the name Free Style Sambo

It seems that I have offended American Sambo, I have always put the promotion of Sombo/Sambo before any financial gain it seems American Sambo Has different Ideas



I am quite shocked by this email as I am trying to promote Sombo/Sambo not just in GB but throughout the World I would have thought you would have done as much as you can to assist me. I notice your Trade mark is registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office so I very much doubt that it covers the whole of the World but I do not intend getting into some long legal argument over a name that really means nothing, I will change the name back to its original conception CombatSombo Wrestling, something I introduced over 25 years ago long before your own involvement in Sambo/Sombo you will see the rules on my web site www.combatsombo.uk a site I have had for 10 years. At this juncture can I remind you that COMBATSOMBO is a registered Service Mark with the UK Trades Marks Registry no 1340614 also COMBATSOMBO was recognised by FIAS in 1990 with me as the founder. Does your own FreeStyle have the same legitimise? May I wish you luck with your FreeStyle Sambo and hope it is a financial success and just remind you we have our British Open Sombo in April 2010 you and the US are more then welcome.

Grand Master Martin Clarke
Working for World Wide Sambo
----- Original Message -----
From: American Sambo Association
To: Martinclarke8thdan@Blueyonder.co.uk
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:56 PM
Subject: Your Freestyle Sambo

Martin,

I saw that you plan holding a freestyle sambo event.
http://www.britishsombo.co.uk/frestyle%20sambo.pdf

I wanted to remind you that "Freestyle Sambo" is a registered trademark owned by American Sambo, LLC (Trademark reg # 3219127, US Patent and Trademark Office). I also hold a copyright of the rules as well, which your rules would need to conform with to be considered a official "Freestyle Sambo" event.

Use of the name "Freestyle Sambo" must be done with permission of the American Sambo Association. There is a process for this, however, I am very disappointed that you did not consult with me prior to promoting your event.

In order for this to be a recognized "Freestyle Sambo" event, you must act in cooperation with the American Sambo Association, pay appropriate fees, bring in trained referees (or host a referee clinic by the ASA), etc.

If you wish to work with us on this, I would be interested in discussing it. However, if you do not, I sincerely hope you will change the name of your event.

I look forward to your reply.

Steve

Stephen KoepferPresident, American Sambo AssociationHead Coach, New York Combat SamboUS Team Coach, 2008 FIAS World Sambo ChampionshipsPO Box 5773Long Island City, NY 11105www.ussambo.comwww.nycombatsambo.comwww.samboschools.comAssociation: 718-728-8054NY Combat Sambo: 917-617-5650

2008 US Team Montage:www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bA1lmlYh7s

No comments: